Thursday, April 28, 2011

Magic

Last night, Carter and I were talking about Buzz and Woody. We frequently talk about them, because he just adores them. He said completely out of no where, "Mommy, it's magic!" I said back to him, "Carter you are so smart! It is magic that Buzz can fly. Cart, do you know what magic is?" And then it hit me....do I even know what magic is? Seriously.

According to dictionary.com, this is the definition: 
1. the art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; legerdemain; conjuring: to pull a rabbit out of a hat by magic.
2. the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature. Compare contagious magic, imitative magic, sympathetic magic.
3. the use of this art: Magic, it was believed, could drive illness from the body.
 
In case you were wondering, 2 year-olds could care less about definitions. If I can't articulate it in a way he understands it, it doesn't work. He just looks at me like I am speaking Chinese, and I may as well be. I just explained to him that Buzz flying, Woody talking, the Easter Bunny leaving a basket and Santa fitting through the chimney is magic. We have to always believe in magic. He said, "Ok momma." He then went about his business.
 
My wheels started spinning.. What is magic to me? What is magic to you? Moving right along to list making, because it's what I do.....Magic is the following:
  • Waking up in the morning one minute before the alarm clock, not feeling tired.
  • Butterflies for no apparent reason. (Daniele Jordan Williams, not that kind!)
  • When I felt Carter kick in my belly for the first time. Aw, I will never forget that.
  • When a stranger tells you how amazing you look, even when you are in sweats and a hoodie.
  • When Carter called me Mom for the first time.
  • When Carter cried for the first time. It was heartwarming, but think about the science of it as well. These babies are all miracles.
  • Giving someone the power to break your heart and not even trusting them to not, because they are so sensitive to you, breaking it will never happen.
  • When you hear someones name and you instantly feel a connection.
  • When you are in Disneyland and you sit there until the music stops.
  • When you know something for a solid fact, and you never question it again.
  • When you drift to sleep and you are having such a real dream and you realize you aren't fully asleep, but are more awake and thinking about the blessings in your life.
  • When you lose someone that you really care about to death or just because you part ways, and you feel inner peace and power with walking away.
  • When I find a killer sale.
  • When my laundry is done by the "Laundry Fairy." (Thank you, Daddy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment